12 April 2022

14 January 2019

Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

Try this:
  1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
  10. Profit.
Hopefully this solves your problems, and you never have to worry about it again! With my personal lenses that are not USM or STM, I always store and transport them with the AF/MF switch in the MF position. This disengages the focusing motor and prevents any accidental damage to the auto focusing motor.

 --------------------------------------------------

Hi....I had the same problem with my AF lens not working. I found on another forum someone who suggested to do this:

"Pulling gently on the focus ring worked for us. Slight pop, maybe 1/16" movement, and the lens is working again!"

I tried it and INSTANTLY my lens is working. I continued reading just a few more comments to see if others related to it and there were SEVERAL people who stated that it worked for them also. I AM THRILLED that I won't have to purchase a replacement lens. DEFINITELY TRY IT. I twisted it (slightly hard because what did I have to loose at that point) and it gave a loud pop but it did the trick!!! 

No comments: